Kozichino is still known for its Turkish name of 1934 – Erketch. It is situated on the ridge of Eminska mountain, between the peaks of Balyova Chuka (524 m) and Idilitsa (448 m), 24 km west of Obzor and 32 km north of Burgas as the crow flies. The etymology of the name is from the Turkish word “erken-getch”, which when pronounced fast sound like “erketch” and means “pass and cross” or “leave faster”. As the stories of local people go, “no Turkish have ever spent the night here. If they have, they have not seen another dawn”. There is no exact data of the time the first settlement here – the village is believed to have existed since the times of the First Bulgarian Kingdom. It has been at this place since XV or XVI century, and the first written data are from Turkish tax documents from the middle of XVII century.
Erketch, Golitsa and Asparuhovo are native villages of a small ethnographic group called by Academicaian Lyubomir Miletich “vayatsi”. They have their own specific dialect, folklore, and costumes. Their dialect is one of the oldest and is preserved to a great extent to this day. The vayatsi consider themselves to be direct descendants of the old Bulgarians of Khan Asparuh. The inhabitants of their villages are a homogeneous group of Christian Bulgarians.
After the Russo-Turkish Liberation War, the vayatsi populates houses deserted by the Turkish in nearly 60 villages in the district of Burgas, Dobrich, Varna and Silistra, thus spreading to the north and south of the Eastern Balkan. The Balkan people were very happy in the bountiful lands of Thracia and Dobridzha; they raised healthy generations of many children and quickly settled the deserted villages north of the Eastern Balkan.
This ethnic group started attracting scientific interest at the beginning of the 20th century, which has not stopped until today. “The little language island”, as Academician Miletich calls it, attracts the attention of the ethnographic scholars, historians, linguists, folklorists.
Preserved in the village of Kozichino is the oldest working lemonade making machine in Bulgaria, manufactured in Germany around 1880. It can be seen in the home of an old lady named Padura, near the mayor’s office. A simple ethnographic exposition is displayed in her home, which she keeps with the only intention to preserve the old objects, part of the everyday life of the local people, and to show them to inquisitive visitors.
An interesting sight is also the old working windmill in the village, which today is part of the hotel complex “The Windmill” built in the traditional style. The mill is open for tourist visits.
Near the center of the village is the basilica of “St. Petka Paraskeva” built in 1848. The church was constructed after being granted a special permit by the authorities in Tsarigrad. It has been preserved in its original state to this day.